Complaints Regarding Nursing Home Care in Maryland

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

Family members who wish to complain regarding the care and treatment provided to their family member or loved at nursing homes in Maryland have several potential options.

First, the family can complain to the nurse in charge of the unit, and then to the Director of Nursing, Administration or Medical Director of the nursing home.  Under Maryland law, the Nursing Home Administrator is required to investigate complaints within thirty days.

If there is a concern that such complaints to the nursing home could negatively impact the patient's safety or well-being, it may be advisable to contact the Maryland Office of Health Care Quality/ Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.  To make a complaint, call the Maryland Office of Health Care Quality at (410) 402-8000.

The State's nursing home inspection results are considered public information and can be obtained from the Maryland Office of Health Care Quality.  Requests for such results should be forwarded to:

Office of Health Care Quality
Spring Grove Hospital Center
Bland Bryant Building
55 Wade Avenue
Catonsville, Maryland 21228
Attn: Public Information Request
(410) 402-8000

Finally, families can make complaints to their local county nursing home ombudsman.  
Under the Maryland Long Term Care Ombudsman Program, each county in Maryland is served by a local nursing home ombudsman.  An ombudsman is a government official  who helps people resolve problems with nursing homes and assisted living facilities. 

The Maryland State Ombudsman's Office can provide the contact information for the local county Ombudsman office.  The contact information for the Maryland State Ombudsman's Office and several local county offices follow:

Maryland Department of Aging
State Long Term Care Ombudsman
Patricia Bayliss--Chief Ombudsman
301 West Preston Street, Room 1007
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
(410) 767-1100
(800) 243-3425, ext. 71108 (toll free)

Baltimore City   (410) 396-2273
Baltimore County  (410) 887-2594
Prince George's County (301) 265-8450
Anne Arundel County  (410) 222-4527
Howard County  (410) 313-5980
Montgomery County  (240) 777-3000
Harford County  (410) 638-3025

Please feel free to contact the lawyers at Dever & Feldstein, LLC at (888) 825-9119 for a free consultation if you believe that a family member or loved one has sustained serious injury or wrongful death as a result of elder neglect or abuse.

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL:

Leave a comment